Comments & complaints
We hope that you are entirely satisfied with our service and experience and would be happy to recommend our services to others. If not, please let us know about it so that we can rectify the problem and improve our service. You can make your comment or suggestion using our feedback form.
Policy for Handling Patient Complaints
In this practice we take complaints very seriously and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. The following procedure is based on these objectives.
Our aim is to react to complaints in the way in which we would want our complaint about a service to be handled. We learn from every mistake that we make and we respond to patients’ concerns in a caring and sensitive way.
1. The persons responsible for dealing with any complaint about the services we provide are:
The practice manager and the dentist involved
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to the Practice Manager. If the practice manager is not available, then arrangements will be made for the manager to contact the patient on the phone.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to:
The Practice Manager and the dentists concerned.
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist who carried out the treatment. Dentists working at Iosis clinic are practicing as independent clinicians and although Iosis staff co-ordinate the handling of the complaint, any decision regarding re-treatment or a refund of charges is made by the individual dentist. All dentists working at Iosis are fully insured with professional indemnity insurance and are under obligation to take advice from their insurance company before responding to any formal complaints. If the patient chooses to see another dentist at Iosis for a second opinion, re-treatment or continuation of treatment, this can be arranged. It should be noted that in such a circumstance this second dentist will be fully independent and standard charges for his or her services will apply.
5. We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint in writing and enclose a copy of this code of practice as soon as possible, normally within three working days. We will seek to investigate the complaint within ten working days of the complaint being received to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within ten working days we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
6. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing to the patient immediately after completing our investigation.
7. Proper and comprehensive reports are kept of any complaint received.
8. Records are kept of any changes made as a result of a complaint (lessons learnt).
9. If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to:
For complaints about NHS Treatment
Southampton, Hampshire, Isle of Wight and Portsmouth PCT Cluster
Tel: 02380 296904
For complaints about Private Treatment
The Dental Complaints Service
The Lansdowne Building
2 Lansdowne Road
Tel. 08456 120 540
11. Patients can also contact the British Dental Health Foundations advice line, Word Of Mouth, for information and advice – 0845 063 1188.